Libraries in Music Teaching Institutions
Terms of reference
The Libraries in Music Teaching Institutions Section focuses on topics of special interest to librarians working in educational establishments that teach music, providing an international platform to communicate, exchange knowledge and discuss all aspects of music libraries embedded in music teaching institutions. Working in collaboration with other IAML Sections, Groups and Committees where areas of interest intersect, principal areas of discussion include, but are not limited to, improving information literacy in students and staﬀ, supporting and facilitating research, and promoting awareness of library collections.
The section usually has two sessions during the annual congress. One of them is often a joint session with another Institutional Section. For example the first session in Sydney was held together with the Public Libraries Section and dealt with the interaction between these two types of libraries.
The second session in Sydney had “Ethnomusicology in Conservatories” as the theme. Other issues recently presented were “Artistic Research”, “Rare Collections in Conservatories” and Bibliography in Conservatories”.
Find below, under "Activities," the result of the international questionnaire, “Networking and access to music collections”, with links to web sites and online catalogues of several music teaching institutions around the world. This questionnaire was carried out by Jane Gottlieb, Federica Riva, and Yasko Todo. The results were published in 1998 and were presented at the IAML conference in San Sebastian (see Fontes 46/1-2, p. 147-148).
- The Commission oversaw the working group for Libraries in Music Teaching Institutions and Accreditation (2011-2014)
- A Limti blog was created in 2008 by Pia Shekhter, and used till 2009.
Questionnaire: Networking and access to music collections (1998)
2014 - 2017:
Johan Eeckeloo, Belgium (chair) - Ilvi Rauna, Estonia (vice-chair) - Claire Kidwell, UK (secretary)
2011 - 2014:
Johan Eeckeloo, Belgium (chair) - Birgitta Sparre, Sweden (vice-chair) - Claire Kidwell, UK (secretary)
2008 - 2011:
Pia Shekhter, Sweden (chair) - José Carlos Gosálvez Lara, Spain (vice-chair) - Johan Eeckeloo, Belgium (secretary)
2005 - 2008:
Anne Le Lay, France (chair) - José Carlos Gosálvez Lara, Spain (vice-chair) - Pia Shekhter, Sweden (secretary)
2002 - 2005:
Anne Le Lay, France (chair) - Yasuko Todo, Japan (vice-chair) - Angela Escott, UK (secretary)
1999 - 2002:
Federica Riva, Italy (chair) - Yasuko Todo, Japan (vice-chair) - Angela Escott, UK (secretary)
1996 - 1999:
Federica Riva, Italy (chair) - Yasuko Todo, Japan (vice-chair) - Jane Gottlieb, U.S.A. (secretary)
- 2009 conference in Amsterdam
- 2008 conference in Naples
- Programme for 2007 conference in Sydney
- Programme for 2006 conference in Göteborg
- Questionnaire results: Networking and access to music collections (1998)
- Programme for 2005 conference in Warsaw
- Programme for 2004 conference in Oslo
- 2003 conference in Tallin
- 2002 conference in Berkeley
- Abstracts and session report from 2001 conference
- Abstracts from 2000 conference
- Abstracts from 1999 conference
- Abstracts form 1998 conference