Council meetings 2008 Naples

 

Minutes of Council Meeting held Sunday 20 July in the Sala Martucci, Conservatorio San Pietro a Majella  and Thursday 24 July in the Sala Dione, Expo Centro Congressi Terminal Napoli.

Present: (at both sessions unless otherwise indicated by I or II)
Kathy Adamson, IAML Treasurer; Thomas Aigner, observer (II); Jon Bagüés, Vice-president; Chris Banks, observer (II); Antonio Baldassarre, observer (II); Dorothea Baumann, Swiss Branch representative (II); Irina Bezuglova, observer (II); Ole Bisbjerg, Danish Branch representative; Zdravko Blažeković, observer (II); Bonna Boettcher, observer (I); Maureen Buja, Editor, Fontes Artis Musicae; Jolanta Byczkowska-Sztaba, observer (I); Maria Caldaresi, observer (I); Jim Cassaro, IAML Vice-President, Chair Programme Committee; Richard Chesser, Chair, Constitution Committee; H. Robert Cohen,  observer (II); Inger Johanne Christiansen, observer (II); Mary Wallace Davidson, Secretary, Commission on Service and Training; Elizabeth Davis, observer (II); David Day, Chair Bibliography Commission (I); Nienke de Boer, observer (II); Sante de Jongh, observer (I); Giovanni Dequal, observer (II); Jan Dewilde, observer (II); Jürgen Diet, observer (II); Željka Dolić Radovinović, Croatian Branch representative(II); Stefan Domes, observer (II); Johan Eeckeloo, Belgian representative (I); Inger Enquist, observer; Angela Escott, observer (II); Michael Fingerhut, observer; Gert Floor, Netherlands Branch representative; Roger Flury, IAML Secretary General; Paul Friedman (II); Gabriele Gamba, observer (I); Jorge Garcia, Spanish Branch representative; Massimo Gentili-Tedeschi, IAML Past- president (II); Julianna Gócza, Hungarian Branch representative; José Gonzalez, observer (II); Luz Gonzàlez-Peña, observer (II); Antony Gordon, Chair, Cataloguing Commission and Information Technology Committee; Liz Hart, UK-Ireland Branch representative; Susanne Hein, President, German Branch; Berit Holth, observer; Stanislaw Hrabia, Polish Branch representative (II); Mari Itoh, observer (II); Joachim Jaenecke, Chair, Research Libraries Branch; Ingemar Johansson, observer (II); Thomas Kalk, observer; Václav Kapsa, observer (II); Avo Kartul, Estonian Branch representative (II); Ann Kersting-Meuleman, observer (II); Claire Kidwell, observer (II); Adélaïde Kientzi, observer (II); Pavel Kordik, observer (II); Hanneke Kuiper, Chair, Public Libraries Branch (II); Ann Kunish, observer (II); Laurence Languin, French Branch representative (II); Anne Le Lay, Chair, Libraries in Music Teaching Institutions Branch (I); Deborah Lee, observer (II); Mattias Lundberg, observer (II); Barbara Dobbs Mackenzie, observer (II); Catherine Massip, observer (II); Elena Nekrasova, observer (II); Jürg Obrecht, observer; Margareta Odenman, observer; Pio Pellizzari, observer (II); Zuzana Petrášková, observer (II); Patrizia Rebulla, observer (II); Rupert Ridgewell, observer; Federica Riva, Chair, Copyright Committee; John H. Roberts, IAML Previous Past-president; Christel Rosenborg, observer; Marguerite Sablonnière, observer (II); Mariella Sala, observer (II); Julie Schnepel, observer; Kazue Sekine, observer; Alla Semenyuk, observer; Martie Severt, IAML President; Pia Shekhter, observer (II); John Shepard, Chair, Archives and Music Documentation Branch; David Sommerfield, observer (II); Siren Steen, Norwegian Branch representative; Besa Spahiu, observer; Geoff Thomason, observer; Pam Thompson, observer; Yasuko Todo, Japanese Branch representative; Judy Tsou, USA Branch representative; Joost Van Gemert, observer (II); Alfredo Vitolo, observer; Hartmut Walravens, observer (I); Janet Weaver, observer; Mary Wedgewood, observer; Agostina Zecca Laterza, Italian Branch representative (I); Anna Žilková, observer (II).

 

1. Welcome and apologies

The President of IAML, Martie Severt, welcomed delegates to Naples and to the Council meeting. He began by explaining which members of Council were entitled to vote, and also asked those present to give permission for observers to speak.

Mention was made of Suki Sommer who had recently passed away. The President described her as a very important member of IAML who was capable of giving inspiration and encouragement to many.

He also noted other members who, for various reasons, were unable to attend this year: Aurika Gergeleziu, Jutta Lambrecht, Wolfgang Krueger, Emilia Rassina and Ruth Hellen. On behalf of IAML he sent best wishes to them all.

 

2. Minutes of the previous meeting

The minutes of the Sydney Council Meeting had been circulated to Council members.

 

3. Matters arising 

There were no matters arising.

 

4. President's report

In his first President’s report, Martie Severt thanked the new Treasurer, Kathy Adamson, for visiting him twice to facilitate the handing over of information. After nine years as Treasurer, there was much knowledge to share.

The President commented that his new role bought him in touch with many members. He had sent greetings to the College Music Society on their 50th anniversary and the New Zealand National Branch on its 25th. He also attended the International Music Council (IMC) in Beijing but was unable to attend the ISMN meeting in Indonesia.

He enjoyed the opportunity to become more closely involved with the work of a Commission Mixte. These groups had previously seemed a little mysterious. As a member of the RILM Commission Mixte he was keen to serve a second term along with Wolfgang Krueger. IAML is now represented by four members, one less than before now that RILM has three sponsoring bodies. Two new members were required to bring the total to four, and Jim Cassaro and Richard Chesser had both agreed to take on this responsibility.

Council was invited to approve these nominations, and this was passed with one abstention.

The President thanked those RILM Commission Mixte members who were retiring after two terms – Veslemoy Heintz, Chris Banks and Massimo Gentili-Tedeschi.

The Board had invited the current Secretary General to continue in that role for a further two years from 2009. This was unanimously approved by Council.

 

5. Secretary General’s Report

“It is my pleasure to present this report on the Board's activities since our last Council meeting in Sydney 2007.

We held our mid-year meeting in Amsterdam on 7 and 8 March 2008. For the afternoon session on the first day we met at the Music Conservatoire where we were also given a short tour of the collection shortly before its scheduled move into the new location adjacent to the Amsterdam Public Library.

The second day was held at the new Public Library. The Director Hans Van Velzen gave us an introduction to the magnificent building and it’s services. He also took us to lunch in the excellent cafeteria on the top floor, which gives spectacular views over the city.

Our thanks go to Hanneke Kuiper for giving us a tour of the building, and to Martie, who generously hosted the Board for a meal at his apartment.

Much of my work is taken up with the day-to-day business of IAML, most notably preparation of the conference programme and election-related matters. All of these will be covered as we work through the Agenda, but I will touch briefly on some of them now.

I would like to begin with a few reminders, while I still have your attention!

National reports
I received some National Branch reports ahead of time and have forwarded these for publication in Fontes and the Newsletter. You will recall an email message from Maureen Buja, Editor of Fontes, asking for all reports to be supplied by 15 August, so that they can appear in the 4th issue of the year in which the conference is held. I’m sure she will mention this in her report to Council.

For the benefit of those of you who are new branch representatives, and who might not know the procedure, I should explain that at the National Report session on Monday afternoon, we will hear short reports on national branch activities since the last conference.

If there is a longer version of your report please send both short and long reports to me as an email attachment and I will ensure they reach the right people at the right time.

Website
The website is central to our operations as an organisation, so it is vitally important to keep the information up-to-date. Many of you are already doing just that. If you haven't checked your National Branch details lately, please take a moment to visit the site and send any changes to the Webmaster.

Alternatively, you can send the information to me and I will organise the rest. Our Webmaster, Gabriele Gamba, does wonderful work in making the website attractive yet practical. He always deals promptly with my requests, and best of all, he is pro-active in pointing out errors or discrepancies. We are so lucky to have him.

Elections
The Branch and Commission elections are far less labour-intensive than those for President and Vice-Presidents. This year we have taken a slightly different approach, and I would like to thank the current Chairs for seeking out candidates and for supplying names and brief CVs. In addition to a notice on the website, a message was sent out on IAML-L asking for nominations.

The names and CVs of all the candidates so far will be displayed on the Conference notice board so that everyone has the opportunity to assess the candidates and make informed decisions before voting.

The Rules of Procedure allow for nominations to be made right up to the time of each election, so the list of candidates should not be seen as definitive. We encourage members to stand as officers for Professional Branches and Commissions. It is a great way to become involved in the work of the organisation.

Treasurer
Our Treasurer, Kathy Adamson, has already circulated the Financial Report and associated documents via email, and she will shortly be reporting fully on our finances and membership. So I need only to point out that this will be Kathy’s very first report in this role. I’d also like to express my appreciation for her support throughout the year in answering not only my questions so promptly, but also those of current and potential members that have sometimes needed her expertise.

Secretary General
At the Sydney Conference, the Secretary General's term was extended until 2009 to give some continuity at a time when many Board members would be new to their roles. I have since been asked by the President and Board if I would be willing to continue for two further years, until 2011.

This has now been approved by Council, but I just wanted to say that I am delighted to continue in this role. The National Library of New Zealand has agreed to continue their support with paid leave and some expenses.

Publications
The IAML Electronic Newsletter, under the inspired editorship of Michael Fingerhut, has established a position that neatly complements both the website and Fontes.

There have been 4 issues published since the Sydney conference – July, September and December 2007 and May 2008. The range of news items is impressive, and I want to take this opportunity to thank Michael for his work and say that I hope the Newsletter will continue to go from strength to strength. Members who have joined the IAML-L discussion list receive advance notification that it is available.

The Editor of Fontes, Maureen Buja, will report to Council later in this meeting. With Fontes back on schedule, it is all too easy to forget just what a Herculean achievement it was bring us up-to-date. So I would like to echo my comments from Sydney and once again express my admiration and gratitude to Maureen and of course, A-R Editions for their extraordinary efforts. I was especially impressed by what must have been the largest issue ever.

Correspondence
My thanks to members who have been in touch with me during the year. It is great to hear your news and, wherever possible, help to answer your enquiries.

Much of the year’s correspondence always relates to the conference. My special thanks go to Agostina Zecca Laterza, Tiziana Grande and Federica Riva who have been my primary contacts over the past 12 months and who have consistently responded to my emails with patience and continual good humour.

We also owe an enormous debt of gratitude to Jim Cassaro who, as Chair of the Programme Committee, pulls the conference programme together with a virtuosity that is astonishing.

Yearbooks and directories
IAML is listed in several directories and databases, such as
The Yearbook of International Organisations, Musical America Worldwide, the British & International Music Yearbook and the Europa World Yearbook, and these need to be updated each year.

I have asked the editors of the British and International Yearbook to list IAML at the head of its section on global organisations, along with IAMIC. I asked them to do this several years ago, but this time I am optimistic that the change will be made in the next edition. At present we are listed under the home country of the Secretary General, and this gives quite the wrong impression.

The IFLA Journal contains an international calendar which lists forthcoming conferences. I have sent the Editor information on our conferences to 2015, and he has agreed to include them in the next edition. They will also appear in the forthcoming events section of Information Development, of which he is also Editor.

Acknowledgements
As always we are deeply indebted to our volunteer translators. This is a task that needs to be shared as widely as possible. At present, the responsibility falls on the shoulders of just a few. So if you are able to assist with French and German translations of abstracts, CVs or pages on the website, please let me know. I have greatly appreciated the help with translations from Almut Bohme, Thomas Kalk, Anne Le Lay, Dominique Hausfater and Adelaide Kientzi.

And finally, I would like to thank our President, Treasurer and Vice-Presidents for their support and encouragement over the past year.”

 

6. Treasurer’s report

The Treasurer’s report and associated documents had been circulated by email to Council before the conference.

There was some discussion regarding ways to reduce the costs associated with Fontes. Another cost-saving measure could be the transfer of the printed membership directory to an online format. It was felt that such a decision could not be made immediately, but it was generally agreed that a move towards a password controlled online membership directory would be a good idea, whilst retaining the printed list for the time being. The print format was still necessary for those with unreliable, or non-existent, Internet access. Costs associated with the printed version would be reduced with collaboration between IAML and A-R Publications and combining the mail out with a Fontes posting.

The issue of declining membership was also discussed. Some explanations were put forward, including the merging of various institutions as well as cuts in public library music collections and specialist positions. The President commented that the decline in membership could not be addressed without some initiatives from individual Branches. It would be helpful if ideas to address this problem could be shared via the Newsletter and IAML-L.

An earlier Council decision resolved to increase membership fees in small amounts more frequently. Therefore the Treasurer proposed an increase of Institution fees from €59 to € 60 and Individual fees from €35.50 to €36. This was passed unanimously and will be brought to the General Assembly for approval.

 

7. Elections of Branch and Commission officers

The Secretary General announced which Board members would be supervising each election. He reminded delegates of the Rules of Procedure relating to voting, and also that names of candidates could be submitted up to the election.

The results of these elections would be announced at the General Assembly on Friday. Some elections were still to be held after the second Council meeting.

 

8. Fontes Artis Musicae

The Editor of Fontes , Maureen Buja, reported that the journal is on schedule. A Europe-based Assistant Advertising Manager is being sought to assist David Day. This will spread the workload, ensure that Fontes is attractive to advertisers in Europe , and assist with continuity if there are changes in these roles.

The Editor invited members to consider becoming Corresponding Editors, to join the 12 existing ones. She also outlined the organization of Fontes into four issues per year. The 3rd issue, following the conference, is now an issue on a special topic. The final issue for the year contains material from the conference held that year. Upcoming special topics include special collections in private music libraries and a volume on Asia.

 

9. Electronic communications

IAML-L. Bonna Boettcher reported that the [iaml-l] header was now in place. The default reply to messages no longer goes to the whole list, but to the original sender. There are now 547 subscribers.

Website. Gabriele Gamba reported that the site had undergone an upgrade in the week before conference, and members who were already registered to access the site would need to do so again after 4 August. We also need to check that our national web pages contain the correct link to the website: www.iaml.info and not the old “cilea” address

Newsletter. Michel Fingerhut appealed for members to contribute to the newsletter. At present he has to search for material and this takes up a lot of time. Articles in French and German are welcome. He will provide a brief abstract in English.

 

10. Relationships with other organisations

a) IFLA. The meeting this year is in Quebec. The Board has asked Joseph Hafner to represent us at their Council meeting.

b) ISO. No report.

c) EBLIDA. Richard Chesser reported that newsletters from the European Bureau of Library and Information Documentation Associations – a lobbying association for libraries within the EU – had been circulated on iaml-l. These bring members up-to-date with EBLIDA activities and occasionally canvas opinion on internationally relevant issues, for example, the proposed EU extension of copyright to 95 years.

d) ICA and the IAML Archive. Inger Enquist reported that IAML continues to belong to the International Council on Archives. It is of value for our Archives and Music Documentation Centres Branch to have contact in this area. For example, we used their guidelines for description of archives when designing our own.

The ICA has reduced staff at its central office, and more work takes place in regional branches. Their website has also been modernised. But it is difficult for us to inter-connect with ICA in a real sense. Their conferences are often in places distant from Europe because they have 190 countries as members, and they seldom deal with cultural archive issues, which is where we would like to seek cooperation.

Last year they held elections, and on behalf of IAML we voted for a vice-president of the ICA Round Table. This year the ICA meeting is in Kuala Lumpur from 21-27 July and will mark their 60th anniversary. They will launch an open-source software to help create web-based archival descriptions that fit with the standard for archival description. It is called ICA-AtoM and will be very useful for the archival community. It is multi-lingual.

e) ISMN. Hartmut Walravens reported on the ISMN meeting in Jakarta, attended by about 100 delegates. Next year it is planned to meet in Korea in conjunction with ISBN.
The ISMN number had been increased 10 digits to 13, following the example of ISBN. Another development had been the transfer of the International Music Publishers’ Directory from hard copy to online publication. It is now a searchable database of some 2000 music publishers.

f) IMC. Martie Severt reported on his attendance at the IMC conference in Beijing. He felt that there was potential for closer contact and a better understanding. There had been an opportunity at the Council meeting to explain the work of IAML, but there was unfortunately no time to answer questions.

g) IASA. Pio Pellizari reported that the International Association of Sound Archives had held their 2007 conference in Riga. The 2008 conference is scheduled to take place in Sydney 13-19 September. The conference theme is “No Archive is an Island”. He invited members to investigate IASA’s new website at www.iasa-web.org.

h) IAMIC. No report.

 

11. Publications Committee

 No report.

 

12. Outreach Committee

No report.

 

The chair of the Copyright Committee, Federica Riva, alerted members to the results of the survey which are now to be found on the website. Feedback would be welcome. She also asked members to consider how IAML could respond to the EU directive that will extend performer rights from 50 to 95 years.

Both Federica and Richard Chesser need to step down from their roles as Chair and Vice-chair on the Copyright Committee, and anyone interested in these positions should contact them.

 

14. Working Group on Access to Music Archives

The following report was presented by Inger Enquist:

“Under the Archives and Music Documentation Centres Branch there is the Working Group on Access to Music Archives (AMA). It was established in 2005 with Judy Tsou and Inger Enquist as co-Chairs. Judy stepped down from that role earlier this month.

The project is basically about keeping track of individual music archives; where they are kept and what contents they might have. This will be done by harvesting databases containing music archival information in various countries. I think of it as a portal, but that is perhaps not quite the correct terminology. We also want to offer a IAML-database for countries that do not yet have their own registration possibilities.

In the Working Group we have been looking for funding from the Mellon Foundation in the USA. After a preliminary application in 2006 we were encouraged to do some supplementary work such as a survey to ascertain the level of interest amongst various institutions to participate in the project, as well as the nature of the archival databases they had. We did this and had very promising results. Judy also obtained considerable support from her University.

By the end of November last year, Judy had submitted what was requested; project description, budget, survey results, database-structure and style guides, résumé for principal investigators, a job description for the programmer, support letter from her university and from the IAML President. We asked for US$112,000; a lot of money, but we needed to cover the costs of networking, office, computers and software, salary for the programmer etc.

We received a reply saying it was not possible for Mellon to fund this project for a variety of reasons. We had not analysed and evaluated closely enough earlier successes and failures to create voluntary registers. Other similar projects had not been successful due to lack of interest from participating institutions, and we should try to investigate that in more detail. Also more attention should be paid to interaction with bibliographical sources.

This was an answer that was difficult for us to understand, because the former contact person had been so encouraging, and suggested that we do the survey etc.

So we are now looking at other ways of moving forward. We have had one meeting so far this week and suggest the following outline for the upcoming work. We will still retain the same goals, but we would like to add some kind of advisory function (an idea of Joachim Jaenecke). This could be done in two steps:

Step One
a) Improving information about archives more in general but also about our project. This can be done on the IAML website. This means we will inform about existing databases and put up links to them. We will guide people, maybe not write so much ourselves but point to known best practices. We already have text on how to process archive material and that could be translated and put up on the information page. We also need to formulate some information, such as a brochure, that we can refer to or print out. We need to market the services we can provide so that people know they can turn to us with practical questions about preservation etc. This is also a way of showing how useful it can be to be a IAML member.

b) Exploring funding. EU money: we need to look further into that, but we expect it to be very difficult. We will also look at other funding avenues.

c) Joining forces with others. This needs to be done fairly soon, and we will approach MLA, ICA, IMS and IFLA.

Step Two
d) We have learned something from the criticism from the Mellon Foundation and we will try to secure a more solid base for the project and get databases up and running in different countries. The outline is already there:
- the fields (in different languages)
- the style guides with examples
- the thesaurus subject headings, list for archive types and document types.
These databases need a lot of work; Spain is doing it right now.
A lot of things need to be done and we need one further term to conclude our work.”

Because Judy Tsou had stepped down from her role of co-chair, the President thanked her for the considerable amount of time and effort that she had put in on behalf of this project. Jon Bagüés had agreed to join Inger Enquist as co-chair, and Council approved this unanimously.

 

15. Constitution Committee

There were no issues requiring the Committee to meet.

 

16. Programme Committee

The chair of the Programme Committee, Jim Cassaro, reported that there had been two meetings during the week. The poster sessions had worked well and the process would be repeated again next year in Amsterdam. Thanks to everyone involved, this had been a very rich programme. Next year we will be joined by approximately 100 members of the International Musicological Society (IMS). We hope to improve access to the very latest version of the programme by hosting it only on the IAML website, with a link to it from the Conference homepage. This will enable delegates to always see the most recent version of the programme.

The Programme Committee is examining its structure and formalizing procedures to improve the process of submitting papers. A plenary session on IAML itself has been suggested for some time in the future.

 

17. Ad-hoc Committee on Electronic Fontes

In the absence of the Chair, Jutta Lambrecht, Martie Severt gave the background to the establishment of this Committee. An interim report had been presented to the Board in March and it suggested good reasons for the development of an online Fontes as well as retaining a print version. The Committee is looking at the options of keeping both available, but there are many complications providing access through the website. For example, how do we deal with institutional memberships, expired memberships, privacy issues etc? The Committee will attempt to resolve these issues over the next twelve months.

 

18. Ad-hoc Committee on Electronic Voting

The Chair, Roger Flury, reported that considerable progress had been made this week and felt ready to report to Council that a tested system could be operating by the time of the next Council meeting in Amsterdam. The Committee felt that all of the identified issues could be addressed whilst retaining the option of a paper ballot for those who preferred it.

If Council in Amsterdam approved the system, it could be used for the next elections for President and Vice-presidents that will take place in 2010.

Gabriele Gamba had been seconded onto the Committee to assist with technical issues.

 

19. Future conferences

The Secretary General reported that exact dates had now been supplied for the Moscow conference in 2010 and that Emilia Rassina had begun planning location details and a programme of related events.

Dates are also now available for the 2011 Conference in Dublin, Ireland (24th-29th July).

The sequence of confirmed conferences to 2015 is now:

2009 Amsterdam, Netherlands (5-10 July)
2010 Moscow, Russia (27 June – 2 July)
2011 Dublin, Ireland (24th-29th July)
2012 Montreal, Canada
2013 Århus, Denmark
2014 Vienna, Austria
2015 New York, USA

There was some discussion about the best time to hold conferences. The Guidelines for Conference Organisers suggest July and August. No dates will suit everyone, but both June and July do present problems for some members. It was suggested that future organising committees be made more aware of these issues by the Secretary General.

 

20. Any other business

It was reported to Council that the Board had approved the appointment of Anne Kersting-Meuleman to the Editorial Board of Documenta Musicologica. She joins our existing representatives John Roberts and Joachim Jaenecke. The Editorial Board will also consist of three members appointed by the IMS.

Council approved unanimously the appointment of Catherine Massip, Chris Banks, Massimo Gentili-Tedeschi and John Roberts to the Commission Mixte of RISM.

Antony Gordon reported that the Working Group on the Exchange of Authority Data would meet again in Amsterdam after two years in recess.

Council was asked to approve the establishment of a formal Music Ontology Working Group, Chaired by Antony Gordon, under the auspices of the Cataloguing Commission. This would operate for three years and develop a comprehensive upper ontology for the domain of music, to enable musical content and information about music to be more easily located, shared and reused. This was approved by Council with one opposed and three abstentions.

Chris Banks reported that the Working Group on Hofmeister XIX had finished its task as charged. However, there were new tasks be undertaken, such as publicity for the project, enriching the data and extending coverage. Council unanimously approved the establishment of a new Working Group on Hofmeister for one year, chaired by Chris Banks.

The Council Meeting was adjourned.